Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shoe Laces and time management

Your shoe laces can tell you a lot about yourself. In my case, I believe they tell me that I'm willing to stop what I'm doing and invest my time and energy into something to get it done or make it right. Before you get totally lost, let me explain.

The other morning, I was getting ready for work. The last piece of my 'fit' is always a pair of shoes. As a slight shoe aficionado (I said slight!) I appreciate what I put on my feet and I want to make sure they are in good working order. This particular morning I was putting on a pair of shoes and I saw that the laces had been pulled so that one end was significantly longer than the other. The shoe was tie-able in the current state but it was clear that it wasn't quite right.

It was at this moment that I had a couple options. I could have kept going, tied the shoe and dealt with it later. Or, I could have stopped, unlaced the shoe and corrected the imbalance. I chose the latter and fixed the lace.

By fixing the lace when I saw the problem I was trying to reinforce a time management practice that I have recently picked up. The idea is if you need to do something that takes less than 2 minutes, do it now. If it takes more than 2 minutes, list it, prioritize and make time to deal with those things appropriately.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I always take this route. I would like to think I do, but I get lazy like everyone else, but I do believe I try to do it a majority of the time.

When I see something that can be fixed quickly, I try to take the initiative to get it done quickly. I'm not looking for praise or credit, I just want to be known over the long haul as someone who gets it done and gets it done well.

What are your time management practices?

No comments:

Post a Comment